Modeling Lumber Volume From Tree Diameter
This scenario-based project was given to us as an assignment in my linear regression model class. A production planning supervisor for a lumber company has hired me to help with developing a predictive model. The lumber company wishes to use the diameter of a tree to predict the volume of lumber obtained from the tree after processing. A successful model will help the planning supervisor schedule tree-cutting and mill processing. There were needs for analysis in the following areas:
- Develop a mathematical model, or two, to predict lumber volume from tree diameters.
- Assess how well the model(s) fits the data. Perform appropriate diagnostics such as residual analysis, assumptions validation, etc.
- Provide some useful confidence intervals to help aid the decision-making process.
- Provide a rough gauge of average production for small, medium, and large trees. Use confidence intervals.
- Estimate the total lumber volume of a single pallet of sixteen trees.